Doing this second installation for the Disney Princess Weddings has been amazing and so rewarding. My hope as a photographer and artist is to continue to challenge myself to create new and inspiring imagery. I never want to get stagnant with what I do and feel like I have it all figured out. Working on projects like this keep me fresh, creatively challenged, and ready for managing editorial work as my career continues to expand and leads me into new adventures. This “Hipster” Cinderella wedding left me so excited about the movement of the bridal industry and the passion behind unique weddings that speak to the couples’ values, style, and taste.
Drawing from the original disney Cinderella movie we wanted to dress up the look of her wedding on a modern scale. Twisting in her love for mice and animals, her pure heart with a gift registry that donated shoes to the needy, and her humble upbringing we felt that this is truly what Cinderella & Prince Charming would have wanted for their wedding day.
Cinderella headed to PHD salon to work with Betsy Otterness in Stillwater to get her hair done in a simple yet elegant top-knot meets low-knot if there is such a thing. Her hair was embellished with a floral headband in lieu of a veil giving her hair the look of effortless elegance. Despite the wind & canoodling in flower fields Cinderella’s hair stayed perfect for the entire day. Her makeup was done on location with an emphasis on dramatic eyes, a pretty pink lip, and just an over-all classic bridal look. Cinderella looked as stunning as the night Charming met her at the castle when they danced the night away and fell in love.
Cinderella wore her mothers gown and it fit like a glove with no alterations needed. Her glass slippers were perfect for dancing but she wore her comfortable chuck taylor sneakers, in white, when her feet grew tired. Her locket was custom made saying, “A dream is a wish you heart makes.” in tribute to her life philosophy. Her bracelets were made of wire and meaningful charms. Earrings were a simple dangle in white and the dainty layered necklace was a black beaded strand made by local Etsy artisans.
As anyone with parents who have passed, Cinderella had a desire to remember them on one of the most important days of her life. So from the smallest details like her little foot tattoo, the ceremony location which was where her mothers’ favorite flowers grew, and her wearing her mothers’ wedding dress, the day was filled with their love and presence despite their passing many years prior.
“Field mice and our most treasured friends only made it to the wedding. The grand wedding will probably take place only because Charming’s dad will make him, but otherwise we loved our super laid back wedding day. We are passionate about raising awareness for people in poverty without shoes teaming up with Soles4Souls, Inc. with the help of KnotProfit. We are animal activists, and we have a love for local small businesses.”
The Wedge and Wheel, the finest cheese shop in downtown Stillwater, hosted Charming and Cinderella’s intimate reception. From a towering and gourmet cheese cake, to fine wine pairings, and gourmet foods served amuse-bouche, the evening was magical and filled with small business and local charm.
A gift table was filled with gently used shoes and generous donations to go towards Charming and Cinderella’s passion and cause, Soles4Souls, a non profit dedicated to fighting the devastating impact and perpetuation of poverty. With 400 million children who live in extreme poverty, many of whom don’t own a single pair of decent shoes, the table number was dawned in moss and amidst purple petunias in a rustic crown planter, to remind the guests of the number of children that lack proper footwear.
From pumpkins, oversized keys, clocks set to midnight, adorable chalk signs, giant balloons, and a playful piñata made custom for smashing into at midnight, with friends and family in lieu of rice or sparklers, the couple had a beautiful wedding that was eclectic, local, and playfully theirs.
“A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you’re fast asleep.”
Bibbidi Bobbidy boo, these vendors seriously would rock for you! I mean it- like check out this video from Olivia Shay here. If I could book every single wedding with this team of vendors I would do it every single time. To meet small business owners with a rich passion for what they do, and a creativity and willingness to go along with these Disney Princess Weddings, speaks to their desire to build their portfolios and stay constantly current in the wedding industry. If nothing less, like them on Facebook and encourage them in their journey as business owners and creators.
- Hair Salon was at PHD Salon located minutes from downtown Stillwater.
- Hair Stylist by Betsy, of Betsy Otterness Hair
- Reception Location, Wine & Gourmet Cheese Cake was at The Wedge and Wheel downtown Stillwater.
- Mice Cake Toppers by artist, Rita Broka, of 5lovebirdsnest
- Gourmet Cake Pops provided by baker, Lisa Tiede of CRUMBS ETC.
- Custom Cookies provided by baker, Maddie Carlos of Something Sweet by Maddie Lu
- Milk Glasses, Straws, & Glitter Spoons provided by ModParty
- Candy Buffet, Table Decor & Place Settings by Wedding Planner, Nancy Hilliard of The Candy Dish
- Wedding Invites & Place Cards designed by Graphic Designer, Kritika, of Kritika Cerreta Design
- Event Furniture, Candles, & Accents provided by Stillwater boutique My Sister’s Cottage
- Piñata Letters provided by MN based artists of Happy Kids Piñatas
- Locket Necklace & Picture Pendant created by artist Amy Anderson, of Simply by Amy Lynn
- Earrings, Charm bracelet, & Necklace created by artist Brianna, of Brianna Nicole Designs
- Floral Design created by floral artist, Jennifer Stehr, of Jennifer Stehr Design
- Lifestyle Wedding Photographer & Art Director by professional photographer Ashleigh Rachel, of Ashleigh Rachel Photography
- Videographer by professional videographer, Olivia Mann, of Olivia Shay Film Co.
- Makeup & Lashes by Makeup Artist, Cassie Van, of Be-YOU-tiful Expressions
- Wedding Planning Site provided by KnotProfit
- Non Profit Charity connected with Soles4Souls
- Cleaning Spray Wedding Gift, Abby, Independent Wellness Advocate for doTerra, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some behind the scenes pics and a peak at the madness behind the scenes. Each wedding I end up working with two male models to see who clicks best with the “bride” and in this instance both guys were seriously Charming from helping hold the bouquet, to patiently waiting for our team to finally get ready for photos to start, and for dressing in red pants and totally rocking it. I was blessed to be able to have such a fun loving group of people to hang out with and have pitch in for this huge project. A special thanks to Zach for being the cutest cake pop eater of them all, Amy hanging those piñata letters like a professional rock climber, & Chris letting us use his shop and trusting it would not look like a tornado tore through it for the entire day.
I want to hear about your fairytale wedding that was low fuss and totally you. Show me your pictures and comment below on this #hipstercinderellawedding.
Live, Love, & Capture.